At SouthPark Physical Therapy in Littleton, CO
What is Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy is the practice of soft tissue manipulation/mobilization with physical (anatomical), functional (physiological), and in some cases psychological benefit. Techniques range from clinical and therapeutic applications to relaxation.This is the healing art of touch.
The Definition of Massage- WhatIsHolistic.com
The Benefits Of Massage
In response to massage, specific physiological and chemical changes cascade throughout the body, with profound effects.
Massage has a demonstrated ability to:
- Alleviate low-back pain and improve range of motion
- Ease medication dependence
- Enhance immunity by stimulating lymph flow—the body’s natural defense system
- Stretch weak, tight, or atrophied muscles
- Help athletes of any level prepare for, and recover from, strenuous workouts
- Improve the condition of the body’s largest organ—the skin
- Increase joint flexibility
- Lessen depression and anxiety
- Promote tissue regeneration, reducing scar tissue and stretch marks
- Pump oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs, improving circulation
- Reduce postsurgery adhesions and swelling
- Reduce muscle spasms and cramping
- Relax and soften injured, tired, and overused muscles
- Release endorphins—amino acids that work as the body’s natural painkiller
- Relieve migraine pain
Stress Relief and Massage
Some experts estimate that upwards of ninety percent of disease is stress related. Eliminating anxiety and pressure altogether in this fast-paced world is idealistic. However massage can, without a doubt, help manage stress.
This translates into:
- Decreased anxiety
- Enhanced sleep quality
- Greater energy
- Improved concentration
- Increased circulation
- Reduced fatigue